Baby Gifts

Baby Gifts Blog

using heaters in room

4 Reasons to Avoid Using Heaters in Kid’s Rooms

Heaters are used commonly during the winter season as it helps in keeping the rooms warm and cozy. But it is important that the gas heaters are used safely otherwise they can become a safety hazard. Having heaters in adults room offers comfort and luxury during the chilly weather but putting them in children’s room is not a smart move. They are not safe for the babies because unlike adults, they cannot adjust the heat setting to keep the temperature comfortable.

Here are a few reasons using the heater in baby’s room is not the best idea.

Increasing Risk of SIDS:

Babies are sensitive and if the room gets too hot then it will increase the chances of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Babies can easily get overheated so it is better to keep the heater out of the baby’s room.

To protect the babies from chill and SIDS it is important to dress them in semi-warm pajamas. Make sure that they are on their back and not their stomach. Heaters reduce the moisture in the room which is not healthy for the babies. They can also reduce the amount of oxygen in the room and lead to some serious health hazards.

heters in room

Keep the Door Slightly Open:

There are heaters that are safer to use as compared to the propane or gas heaters. The radiant heat heaters use electricity to heat the area but even these heaters can make the room too hot for the babies. If you are using it in the children’s room then you should leave the door slightly open so there is a flow of fresh air and supply of oxygen. Putting a bowl of water in the room is also effective in maintaining humidity. It is also essential to keep the heater away from anything that can catch fire like curtains, bed, etc.

When you first put the heater on your child’s room then you should set an alarm and check on the baby regularly. Check the skin to see whether it is too hot or not.

Risk of Burns:

Toddlers are extremely curious and they like to touch everything and explore it. Putting a heater in a toddler’s room and leaving them there unassisted is a terrible mistake. Toddlers will definitely touch the heater just to satisfy their curiosity and it can result in burn injuries. They can also end up putting something flammable on the heater that can lead to a fire. You should never leave a toddler unattended if the heater is switched on in any room.

heaters in room

Drying of Nasal Passages:

The heaters can suck up all the moisture from the room and make the atmosphere too dry. Babies have sensitive bodies and mucus in the nose can dry up easily. If the nose becomes too dry then it can lead to serious nosebleeds. The dried mucus can also make the baby vulnerable to infections which can be dangerous as their immune system is not too strong.

Make sure that you install gas safety equipment like CO detectors, Fire alarms, etc. in the baby’s room. Know more about the gas safety certificate check London.